Hugs and Smiles from God

Hello friends! :)

Have you ever had an experience when you were reminded that God is with you, without a shadow of a doubt? Maybe you nearly escaped a terrible accident, or had a check come in the mail at the exact time you needed it, or someone shared a Bible verse with you that was just what you needed at that moment. Many times, these incidents strengthen our faith, like a hug or smile from God, reassuring us that He is with us and loves us and has a plan for us. But all too often, in the days, weeks, and months that follow, we forget what God has done for us, and we get discouraged and doubt that God is with us. 

Israel often fell into this mistake. They, of all people, had the clearest evidence that God was with them. He parted the Red Sea for them, caused manna to fall from heaven every morning for them, He did so many other things for them, and His presence with them was visible in the form of a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. Yet they complained against the very God who was right there with them- they seemed to forget or minimize what He had done and was doing for them.


Yet how often do I do the same?


As I write this, my own heart is convicted. I know God is with me, because He has promised to be, and He cannot lie, and His promises are forever. But yet, I still complain, doubt His plan, and moan about the struggles of life. And He is so gracious. He listens to my heart's cry, patiently loving me in the darkness, and whispering to me, "Child, lift your eyes to the light." If, in the darkness, I would look back on the goodness of God in my life, I would be strengthened and encouraged. I have a choice: to stay under the cloud, or by faith to see that the sun is there behind it. Yes, there are valleys in our lives, but part of getting through them is remembering the hugs that God has given us, the smiles of His love in our lives.


As I was reading my Bible the other day, the Lord brought this quote to my mind...


It is for our own benefit to keep every gift of God fresh in our memory. Thus faith is strengthened to claim and to receive more and more. There is greater encouragement for us in the least blessing we ourselves receive from God than in all the accounts we can read of the faith and experience of others. The soul that responds to the grace of God shall be like a watered garden. His health shall spring forth speedily; his light shall rise in obscurity, and the glory of the Lord shall be seen upon him. Let us then remember the loving-kindness of the Lord, and the multitude of His tender mercies. Like the people of Israel, let us set up our stones of witness, and inscribe upon them the precious story of what God has wrought for us. And as we review His dealings with us in our pilgrimage, let us, out of hearts melted with gratitude, declare, “What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all His people.” Psalm 116:12-14 (Ellen White, The Desire of Ages, pg 348)

The Israelites were quick to forget, as we are. But they set up stones along their journey to remind them of the things that God had done for them. If they did so, how much more should we?

I have a journal designated for recording these hugs from God, the moments that clearly remind me that He is with me. Perhaps many of them would seem trivial to some, but to me, the verses and song lyrics that came at the perfect time, the word from a friend that seemed straight from the Lord, the peace that comes from knowing God is with you- these things are sunbeams straight from the Father's smile, shining His rays of hope and love into my heart. May I meditate on them more, may I be more faithful in recording them, and may they call forth more praise from my heart. May this be my prayer:

"I remembered thy judgments of old, O Lord; and have comforted myself." Psalm 119:52


-Hope :)

Comments

  1. What a beautiful reminder! I needed that. Thank you for sharing your gift in writing. May you continue to use your talents for God! Never give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! I'm glad it encouraged you!! 🤗 Thank you so much!! God bless you!! 😊

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this article I myself need this reminder of just how Faithful our God is, like you said we often talk about how the Israelites complained, but I am so guilty of doing to same. Instead of looking and talking unbelief I need to look back and remember the Goodness of God time after time again how He has always provided.

      Delete
    3. Very well said!! ☺️ I agree 100%!!! He is so patient with us!! 🙏

      Delete
  2. I love that quote so much! Thank you for the reminder, it's always inspiring to look back on how God has led us in the past! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! 💖 Thank you for commenting, God bless you!! 😊

      Delete
  3. Thank you! That was truly what I needed to hear today! God bless you! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad God used this to encourage you!! Hugs!! 🤗

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Hope. I was all twisted up yesterday over my internet being out and not allowing me to work. I finally took some deep breaths, said a prayer and even though my internet remained out and it still is, I'm content. God gave me peace, just as your messages of hope do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... What a testimony!! How beautiful that God gives us peace even if the difficulty is still present!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! 🤗

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this. You’re so right. When trouble comes I sometimes forget how God has lead me in the past. I think I might start journaling the Glory moments God gives me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can totally relate!! That's awesome, I hope it is a blessing to you!! 🤗 Thanks for commenting!! ☺️

      Delete
  6. Angela-
    My hug from God this week was 3 pairs of shoes for $32. When I had spent my designated money for shoes on an event with my sister. He is so good and loving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome!!! I absolutely agree, our God is awesome!!! 😊❤️ Thank you so much for sharing!! 🤗

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And So, The Adventure Begins

2023: New Every Morning